Knighton Normal School

Search   

Enrolments

Enrolment Scheme

Our enrolment scheme has been adopted to meet the provisions of section 11A of the Education Amendment Act 2000.

Home Zone

All children, other than Fee Paying International Students, whose usual place of residence is within the geographic area defined below are entitled to enrol at Knighton Normal School.

The boundary of the geographic area follows Grey Street, Clyde Street, Old Farm Road, Knighton Road, Ruakura Road to Silverdale Road, Hillcrest Road, Cambridge Road, Cobham Drive. (see map)

Out of Zone Enrolments:

Click here to download an Out of Zone Application Form

Each year the board determines the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will specify a date by which all applications must be received and the date the ballot will be held.  These ballots will normally take place in October, for children to start in the following year.  A further ballot will also be held prior to the beginning of each term, should places for out of zone students be available.

You are welcome to lodge your application for an out of zone enrolment at any time.  Your application will be retained and included in the next ballot.

Applications for out of zone enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority, as required by the Education Act;

First Priority will be given to students who are applying for a place in a special programme run by the school and approved by the Secretary for Education.

Second Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students

Third priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students

Fourth Priority will be given to applicants who are children of board employees

Fifth Priority will be given to all other applicants

If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989.  If there are more places available than there are applicants, a ballot will not be necessary and those applying will be accepted onto the school roll.

Caregivers will be informed of the outcome of each ballot within 5 working days of the advertised date.

Special Programmes

The school operates three partial Immersion classes.

Students who live within the school‘s home zone and meet the criteria for enrolment in the special programme will be enrolled ahead of out of zone students.

Criteria for acceptance into the immersion programmes is as follows:
i.  children in zone.
ii. children who have come from a Kohango Reo.
iii. younger siblings who have tuakana in the unit.
iv. children transferring from another immersion programme or Kura Kaupapa Maori.

School imposed restrictions:
i. before entry into a unit children's reo will be assessed by staff and a whanau representative.

ii. children who have not attended kohanga will be expected to complete twenty school weeks in a new entrant class before entry into the junior immersion class.

The limit on the senior Immersion class is 27 places for the middle school it is 25 places and for the junior class it is 22 places.

Effective from 1 January 2001

Approved by Board of Trustees at meeting on 12 September 2001