Knighton Normal School

Search   

School Programmes

Performance Opportunities

At Knighton we offer our senior students (Years 5/6) many opportunities in music, drama and dance beyond the classroom programme.

Students can elect to learn guitar, ukulele, recorder or percussion.  There is a school choir where students can develop their singing skills.  For those children who either learn an instrument privately or have learnt an instrument at school, we offer an instrumental ensemble class.  All classes prepare music for performance at assemblies, twilight festivals and parent evenings. Our choir and instrumental ensembles often perform out in the community for special events.

Small group percussion and ukelele classes are also offered to many of our junior and middle school students which prepares the children for their senior years.    Regular singing is a feature of our assemblies throughout the school in addition to a weekly waiata for the juniors.

Every second year the senior school do a major musical production.  All students who want to be involved are, with opportunities for singers, actors and dancers to develop their skills and love of performing.  Special talents and abilities are recognised, encouraged and nurtured, and horizons widened.  The production is a highlight of the senior years.

Both the junior and middle schools also prepare a theme based production every alternate year.

Various dance groups form throughout the year as needs and occasions arise.

An annual speech contest builds confidence in students as they present speeches to their classmates, and those who make it to the final hone their public speaking skills.

SENIOR DRAMA

Knighton is full of senior kids who love to be 'dramatic' and our lunchtime senior Drama club is perfect for them.  The children get a chance to play many games to build their improvisation skills and practice voice and expression through a variety of performance activities.  They also have an opportunity to rehearse and build up a play to perform to an audience at the end of term 3.  The children get to create all aspects of their performance from characterisation, to set, to props and costume...they also learn lines off by heart!  

A great bunch of kids doing a fun part of learning and our NZ Curriculum, Drama with Ms A.